Poetry by Lay is an archive of poems on life, love, family, truth, healing, neglect, and abuse—written to help us feel, remember, and pay attention. Part of Slayed Beyond Beautiful.
She is but eleven She is my angel sent from heaven She came to me at the tender age of twenty-one She gave me reason not to run She kept me grounded She was the reason my heart pounded She made my life brand new She healed my heart through and through She showed me how to love She showed me what that stuff is made of She keeps me on my toes She won’t allow me to wallow in my woes She senses when my spirits are low She will never let it show but She always seems to know She amazes me every day she grows She knows when to lean in and give me a hug She knows when I’ve had a bad day and not to bug She jumps in before I ask She completes every task She excels in academics and dance She shows me what can be if given a chance She picks up my good bits and pieces She continues to leave me speechless She always wears a smile She is my amazing child She is my first, no one is above She is my first true love She is my daughter Alaya Before her I was a zero She is my...
A prayer for my girls—if I should die before I wake To my girls I would write: Mommy will always love you ~ I never placed anyone above you You are my world and the reason for my life ~ I did my best, though I didn’t get everything right You both gave me the courage and strength to fight ~ Your lives gave me direction, and your love was my light Even though my body is no longer here ~ don’t you fear ~ my spirit is always near Each night you get on your knees to pray ~ remember this prayer ~ Promise me to say: “Dear God, please tell Mommy we said hi That we understand that all people must die We know she is safe with You in the sky She is an angel with wings and can now fly We promise to make her proud Our dreams will reach beyond the clouds Tell her that we are okay and we remember her every day She is in our hearts, where she will forever stay We know she did her best ~ and that her soul can now rest Please tell Mommy we love her again and again…” Amen Lay
She’s my little Diva An overachiever Will debate till you believe her She’s strong willed Not easily thrilled Tells you exactly how she feels She’s a mini me Quite a beauty Filled with desire and creativity She loves fashion Shops with passion Won’t leave till she’s matching She’s my little Diva Saen; my heart's keeper My love for her runs deeper Lay
Comments
Post a Comment